Well, sorta. I ran into a little trouble with the sleeves. I think I cut them wrong or sewed them wrong or something. I never really figured it out which, so for two days the top sat on my kitchen table (where I sew) and every time I walked past it I'd say jokingly to my boyfriend, "My sleeves ain't right!" Eventually I quit following both of the tutorials' instructions and made up my own way. I got out my seam ripper then cut off part of the sleeves and sewed them on a different way, just for good measure. I'm pretty sure no one's ever made sleeves like this, since the seam is on the top. But whatever! It worked and it fits. :)
Isn't this shirt so cute? I'm in love with the fabrics. Can you believe I got them at Jo-Ann's?
Oh, and, by the way, since this post isn't flower-related and I'm still doing my May Flowers event, I
Anyway...I didn't put elastic in the sleeves because I thought that was a little bit childish and I also sewed on a tie at the bottom of the blouse, a la Jess from Craftiness is Not Optional. I didn't make the tie quite long enough to tie a bow, but I think it looks like I did it on purpose, don't you? All I did was sew a tube that was twice as long as the circumference of the shirt. Simple!
This was my first top to sew and I'm proud I made my own pattern, plus some adjustments to the original blouse. I used the same technique for the tie on my peasant top as I did for the tie on my pink party skirt. I always thought modifications to patterns would be hard to make, but I'm starting to learn that once you know a few basic skills in sewing you can mix and match to create almost anything.
The pattern I made for this definitely needs some adjustments, and I'm not sure if I can replicate the shirt again or not, but I think I'll try when I get the chance. Who knows, maybe I'll make an adult peasant top tutorial for you! So keep checking back if you like this shirt. Until then, happy crafting!