Tyler donated a button-up shirt that didn't fit him anymore and I cut it up using a sleeveless blouse of mine as a pattern. It does pucker a little bit around the bust, so if you try and make this top I suggest cutting it a little larger than needed so you can add darts.
|Notice the slight puckering near the arm holes?|
Anyway, I kept the same bottom hem as the original shirt, so all I had to do was sew together the sides and the shoulders/neck, plus add bias tape (which I made myself for the first time!) around the arm holes.
I did everything pretty much the same as the tutorial, except that since my shirt was adult sized I didn't have enough fabric leftover for the neck tie. Sooo...I just happened to have this teal and navy satin fabric that I scooped up at Jo-Ann's for $2 a yard way back when and it matched fabulously.
I think I like the top with the satin tie around the neck better than I would have liked it if the whole shirt were just the navy blue fabric. I think it gives it the shirt a little surprise factor and femininity.
This top was so easy to make it was ridiculous, and now I have something new I can wear for work that cost me less than $2. Hooray!
Thanks for reading and happy crafting to ya!
This post is linked up here.